Friday, August 20, 2010

So I have this antivirus site that keeps popping up....?

Yesterday my licence ran out on my antivirus. (Yeah, I know, I was dumb, I should have down-loaded my free BT version beforehand). Any hoo ... this ''buy our antivirus'' site keeps popping up - saying I've got a Trojan horse, and it has installed a toolbar on my computer. I've now installed my FREE version from BT, but I think it's too late. Just now, as I was writing this question, a not very nice site popped up (I hesitate to write the word but ladies and gentlemen naked together!) I have emailed the site and said ''quit it'' but to no avail. Anybody got any great ideas? Thanks!



So I have this antivirus site that keeps popping up....?free antivirus



That sounds like adware. I suggest you download Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S%26D (they鈥檙e free), install them, update them and run them. If any of the above don't seem to be able to get rid of everything it reports finding, try running it again, this time in Safe Mode. Safe Mode often prevents the malware from running and protecting itself.



Also, turn off System Restore to evict any copies of bad stuff that might be lurking there.



To get into Safe Mode:



1.Log out and reboot your machine.



2.When the machine starts the reboot sequence, press the F8 key repeatedly.



3.Select Safe Mode from the resulting menu.



4.The machine will continue booting, but the Windows desktop will look different. You won't be able to see the Internet, for instance. Log in as Administrator. Administrator often has no password.

No comments:

Post a Comment